Good Morning Washington/ABC-7 Interview on Adrenal Health 6/23/17
Another great honor and privilege to share with viewers the need for education on adrenal health!
Why do we call it HPA-dysregulation and not primarily adrenal fatigue? It is really a brain specific issue. It involves the brain, central nervous system and endocrine system, especially the adrenal glands themselves. However, it is much easier to call it “adrenal fatigue.” It really impacts multiple body systems rather pervasively.
It is a syndrome of symptoms, to include, but not limited to:
- Sleep Disturbances
- Lowered immunity (aka-more frequent infections and illness)
- Brain Fog
- Weight gain
- Food cravings-especially for salt and/or sugar
- Diminished ability to deal with stress
- Blood sugar lability
- Craving the need for caffeine to “make it through the day”
What causes this?
- Poor quality diet and nutrition
- Leaky gut and/or food intolerances
- Low thyroid function
- Blood sugar dysregulation
- Sex hormone imbalances
- Too much exercise with too little recovery
- Physical toxins, in the environment, personal care products and food
How do we address this?
- First, we need a fairly comprehensive approach that includes diagnostic testing with labs. Baseline CBC, blood chemistries, iron studies, thyroid studies and most importantly, an evaluation of adrenal stress saliva panel. This later test helps map out the role of cortisol and Circadian rhythm patterns. Later food sensitivity testing and/or stool testing may be indicated, amongst other tests. The results of these tests guide treatment suggestions and recommendations for each client. Bio-individuality is key.
- Nutrition: filtered water with Himalayan sea salt; good quality nutrient dense diet with starchy carbs; adequate protein and healthy fats; increasing potassium rich foods; frequent meals if blood sugar is of issue and avoiding caffeine and alcohol
- Lifestyle: obtaining adequate sleep; turning off electronics before bed; wearing blue blocking glasses at night when looking at electronics; stress management, grounding and spending time with loved ones or hobbies
- Supplements: adaptogenic herbs, glandulars, HPA support, digestive supports
I hope that the interview and this information is helpful!